Are you looking into medical schools for yourself or a family member? Here are some important things to consider when checking out your top choices:
- Visit their website and watch for the following keywords:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Social justice
- Health equity
- Systemic/structural/institutional racism
- Implicit/unconscious bias
- Under-Represented in Medicine (URiM)
- Holistic review
- Review their DICE score: The Diversity, Inclusion, Culture, and Equity (DICE) Inventory grades medical schools’ efforts to embed DEI-related initiatives in many areas of university operations. Higher scores indicate a stronger dedication to woke practices.
- Visit Critical Race Training in Medical Education to see a summary of DEI-related actions, employee requirements, support for anti-racism, and more.
- Check a medical school’s “secondary interview questions” for topics regarding DEI, anti-racism, and social justice issues. Here is a helpful database from ProspectiveDoctor.com.
- Search for the school’s “white coat ceremony” oath to see what they ask students to pledge.
- Review a school’s financial aid page to see if they push scholarships that discriminate on the basis of race.
- Review the U.S. News and World Report’s 2023 Best Medical Schools for MCAT information and diversity initiatives.
Get up to speed with the threats facing healthcare – and how we’re protecting patients and physicians.
"*" indicates required fields